Skip to content
April 12, 2011 / thegirlwhotooktheleap

Got My Military ID!

One of the downsides to the k1 visa is that the entire time that your AOS is pending you are kind of just in limbo.. you can’t work, study, and they make everything extra difficult-like getting a license or SSN. There are times when they ask you for an ID and the only valid ID I can provide is my passport. Of course, its extremely dangerous to carry your passport around because think of the repercussions if you lose it! I simply cannot afford to lose my passport. This is kind of why I was so happy when Tim and I went to Fort Indiantown in PA to get me into the DEERS system and have an ID made for me. Aside from the long line, it was a pretty easy process. This is what I needed:

1. Certified Birth Certificate

2. Court-Certified Marriage Certificate

3. Valid ID with Picture (i.e. passport)

4. SSN card

Unfortunately I was not allowed to get the card under the name Steph Kramer because I didn’t have any ID aside from the marriage certificate to certify the name change.. In other words, I need to wait for my EAD or green card in order for me to change my name. So my ID is under the name Stephanie Afzelius and then I can just come back later on to change it back. Fair enough, at least I don’t need to carry my passport around anymore.

I can’t wait for the green card. Once I have it, I can change my SSN into my married name, I can get a license in my married name, and I can change the mil ID too 🙂



Leave a Comment
  1. anna v. / Jun 21 2011 1:38 pm

    hi steph! nice to hear that you already have your military card… but how was it that i cant get my military card? we went there earlier with all my requirements: passport, marriage certificate, ssn (w/ husband’s last name), and NSO birth certificate… but they asked for APOSTILLE for my BC… can you please help me on this cause i need to have my id card…

    thank you!


    • thegirlwhotooktheleap / Jun 21 2011 3:49 pm

      Really? That’s strange because they accepted my NSO Birth Certificate.. It has a seal and it’s a certified true copy.. I think you need to just insist that it is a real copy. Sorry I’m not much help!

  2. Dana / Apr 30 2012 10:52 pm

    So did u file AOS in ur maiden name or ur husband name?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: