Skip to content
September 21, 2011 / thegirlwhotooktheleap

My passport is amended, finally!

I just wanted to update everyone that I already had my passport changed to my married name, finally.. It took me a while to do this, frankly because

1. I was lazy

2. It’s such a hassle!

3. I wanted to have my green card on hand before I even attempted to do this. Why? Because my passport (back then) was my only valid ID and I could not afford to lose it when it was all I had.. Once I got my GC, I figured not having a passport for a few weeks won’t be so bad.

Anyway.. amendment of passport is pretty easy as long as you have already done the report of marriage (which I did last April). All I needed to do was send in my passport together with the notarized application form, the report of marriage form, a $20 money order, and  a photocopy of your passport biographical page, as well as your hubby’s. Aside from this, you need to send it in via express mail and also include a return envelope. All in all it took about 2-3 weeks before I got it back, and all it is basically is an official stamp on your passport that says you have formally changed your name. I chose to do this because I wanted all my ID’s to have the same name, and also because if you don’t have your name on your passport changed then you have to buy plane tickets in your maiden name, and then carry a marriage cert with you to prove its you (because my green card is in my married name). Confusing? Yes it is, and which is why changing your name on your passport simplifies everything. It’s different from a passport renewal because my passport is still valid until 2015 so I don’t need to have it changed yet.

I would like to take this time to express my disappointment with the Philippine Consulate NY because I sent them countless emails and messages on the phone when I wanted an update and I never got any response. I received one phone call from them, and that was just them confirming my birthday because the lady very condescendingly told me that I had put the wrong birthday on my form.. I was very puzzled by this because I am pretty sure that I would not make such a stupid mistake. She told me that I had put 24 instead of April 27, and that I should always write my correct birthday. Because I had not made a photocopy of the form for myself, I just apologized. Anyway, fast forward to two days ago and I receive my passport in the mail. I immediately check the form to see my “error” and lo and behold, the question on the form was AGE/BIRTHDAY so I naturally put 24 yrs/April 27,1987… I am not sure how that could be mistaken for April 24!!! The next time you call and make such remarks, make sure that you are right about it first! Nevertheless though, I am grateful that I got my passport back on time and that it is all settled now.

So there.. I just wanted to share this with everyone. Goodluck to those who are currently doing ROM or amendment of passport!



Leave a Comment
  1. maricarljanah / Apr 2 2012 8:15 pm

    Hi, my husband and I find your blog very, very helpful. I am now in the process of reporting our marriage to the Philippine embassy. I just wanted to clarify if changing my name on my passport is a different process than the report of marriage one? Where can I find the requirements for changing my passport name to my married name? I hope to hear from you soon, thank you so much for continuing to update your blog 🙂

  2. Maria / Oct 22 2012 12:17 pm

    Hi Dear! When I got the report of marriage back, they stapled all the supplemental documents like marriage contract in the ROM form itself. Now in amendment application, do I have to send the single form of report of marriage or include the attachments in it?
    Thank you so much 🙂

    • thegirlwhotooktheleap / Oct 26 2012 8:54 am

      I think I just included everything when I sent it back, and they just returned it to me again 🙂

      • Maria / Oct 27 2012 1:34 am

        Oh ok. Thank you so much. I appreciate it 🙂

  3. Ann / Jan 24 2013 12:44 am

    Hi steph! according to the Philippine embassy website, one requirement is to have NSO-certified original copy and one (1) photocopy of marriage certificate, if marriage was solemnized in the Philippines (original will be returned). We only get married here in the US, so does that mean i dont need this requirement? Sorry for the stupid question, i just wanna make sure 🙂

    • thegirlwhotooktheleap / Jan 25 2013 2:44 am

      Just send the marriage cert that you do have. If you married here then that’s the one you show

  4. Micole Gotauco / Feb 24 2014 7:20 pm

    Stef your blog is sooo informative and helpful! I might need to read all of this one day. 😉 Thanks in advance haha! -Micole

    • thegirlwhotooktheleap / Feb 25 2014 8:05 am

      Haha hey Micole!
      Hmmm… I’m sensing someone is starting to have serious plans for the future?? hehe 🙂

  5. TheAngryAsian / Apr 2 2014 2:49 pm

    Hi, Steph, thank you for your updates about your legal papers. I first found you blog when I was pregnant last year. 🙂

    Would you be able to know if it is possible to do both the Report of Marriage, Passport Amendment, and Report of Birth (of my kid)? LOL. I know, I was just too lazy.

    Jingle G.

    • thegirlwhotooktheleap / Apr 3 2014 10:13 am

      I’m sure you can do all three! I have not even done the report of birth.. I may have to ask you about that one 🙂

  6. TheAngryAsian / Apr 2 2014 2:49 pm

    *To do all three!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: