Skip to content
November 4, 2012 / thegirlwhotooktheleap

Long-distance relationships

Tim and I were only together for about 4 months in total when we met and fell in love in China.. After that we both entered into a long-distance relationship for over a year, him being in the US and me in Shanghai and in the Philippines. During the time we were apart, we tried to visit each other every couple of months.. He flew to China to propose, I flew to the US for his graduation, he flew back to China and the Philippines whenever he completed his army trainings. It was tough, but we made it work!! During that time, we worked on our K1 visa and my graduate school applications. He proposed March of 2010, and by February 2011 I was in the US. We got married in April, and the rest is chronicled in this blog. Lol. We’ve been lucky because I know we had it easier than other couples who went through/are going through a LDR.

Which brings me to my point.

I know there are many kinds of LDR.. There are the couples who live in the same country but are in different states/cities.. They may be in the same country but that doesn’t make things easier since this country is so big and people can still be long drives and plane rides apart. Then there are the are people like me who went through international relationships, and other people who are in long-distance relationships because of jobs (e.g., military trainings and deployments, oil drillers, truckers etc..) What connects us all is the fact that we are not with our significant others, and we miss them. We think of them each day, every day and instead of dates we go on Skype or Facetime.

I know that some people who have stumbled upon my blog or those who do read it are here because they can relate to me in one way or another. Maybe you are also going through/ went through the K1 process, or maybe you are a military wife too. Either way, I want to know your story! You are all probably well aware by now that Tim and I are currently back in a long-distance relationship because he is deployed.. and I am really struggling with it. But hearing other people’s struggles, successes and happy endings really inspire me and make me smile. So if you, my reader, have a story to tell please do so! It doesn’t matter if you are still going through it, or if you have already surpassed it. I would love to hear about your long-distance relationship, and how you are coping and the things you do/did to survive. So please leave a comment and share your story, if you can. It will really make me happy! Plus its a good way to meet the people who actually stumble upon my blog. 🙂

I look forward to your responses.. (And it doesn’t matter if you read this today or you stumble upon this post a year from now. 🙂

Advertisements

8 Comments

1. Maricarl-Janah (@maricarljanah) / Nov 4 2012 3:00 pm

I’m a military wife and I also went through the K1 visa process which actually brought me to your blog. Actually, my husband found your blog for me lol. It’s a pleasure to know that on the other side, there’s someone whom I haven’t met, but can relate to and expect updates from. It’s like having a platonic friendship. I know that your situation right now is very challenging, but like you’ve mentioned in your previous post, you are strong…stay strong and be happy. God Bless!

• thegirlwhotooktheleap / Nov 4 2012 7:43 pm

That’s so cool!!! We have so much in common then 🙂 Yes, its really nice to know that someone knows exactly what you are going through! Though I hope there are no deployments in your future!!! Are you already here in the US? So nice to meet you and thanks for sharing your story 🙂

2. Gaby / Dec 5 2012 10:39 pm

Hello! I just created my wordpress this evening because I’ve found it difficult to find a community of people in LDR. Would love to exchange stories! I’ve been long distance (UK to US) for 2.5 years now but we are thinking about getting married (mainly for love, but also visas) so we can finally be in the same country…Was the K1 visa difficult for you? did you do it yourself or use a lawyer? good luck!!

• thegirlwhotooktheleap / Dec 6 2012 8:12 am

Congrats!! K1 wasn’t really hard, just make sure you are patient and carefully prepare and arrange your documents. Visajourney.com is a great resource that can help you! We did not need a lawyer and unless you have a complicated case, I don’t think you need one either! Goodluck! 🙂

3. Samantha / Feb 20 2013 8:54 pm

First off, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. I am currently in a LDR with a TIm as well! We’ve known each other since we were kids and over the last two years developed a relationship. He left about 6 months after we started dating to New York (I live in California), to take care of his mom after her surgery. He was only supposed to be gone a few months but months turned into what has now been 18 months of so much uncertainty and pain without and end date in sight. This past weekend I went for a visit for the first time (yes, we went 18 months without seeing each other!) and it was probably the best weekend of my life. I’ve never dreamed I could have the relationship I share with him and it makes the distance a little easier to think one day him and I might be married with our own little bundle on the way, like your story turned out. Thank you for giving me optimism in a time when I’ve felt worse than ever being away from him and missing him. You make me realize that some stories can have a happy ending!

4. geordiesimmo / Jul 20 2013 2:11 pm